Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Underdog (The Wolfe Brothers #1) by Markus Zusak

Add to Goodreads
Title: The Underdog
Author: Markus Zusak
Series: The Wolfe Brothers Trilogy
Genre: Young Adult
Length: 139 pages
Published: 1999
Publisher: Omnibus Books
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) Boys are like dogs - ready to bite, bark and beg to be given a chance to show their value.. "I vowed that if I ever got a girl I would treat her right and never be bad or dirty to her or hurt her, ever." Cameron Wolfe is a dirty boy. He knows it. His brother Rube knows it, because he's one too. they could change - but what would it take?

My Review:
I give this book a 4 out of 5. 

Cameron Wolfe has no friends. His best friend hangs out with a different crowd now, though occasionally they still talk. Mostly he spends his days fighting with his brother, Ruben, and hatching plans to pull off robberies. One day, when working with his dad, he meets Rebecca Conlon and falls for her. He spends his days getting into trouble with his brother and working up the courage to speak to Rebecca.

This was a pretty good tale about a kid who isn't a loser but a fighter, and the realizations about himself and his family that he comes to in the end. It was a short, fast read. Each chapter ends with a dream he's had. The dreams are windows into Cameron's anxieties about life.

Does he get the girl? Not in this book, but there's two more in the trilogy, so I'm going to keep reading to find out!

You can purchase the entire Wolfe Brothers trilogy through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read The Underdog? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment