Monday, July 8, 2013

The Family by Ed Sanders

Add to Goodreads
Title: The Family
Author: Ed Sanders
Genre: True Crime
Length: 412 pages
Published: 1971
Publisher: E.P. Dutton & Co. (NYC)
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) In 1971, Ed Sanders wrote The Family, a profile of the events leading up to the Tate-LaBianca murders. He obtained access to the Manson Family by posing as a "Satanic guru-maniac and dope-trapped psychopath."
Introduction
Section I: From the Beginnings to mid-1969
Section II: The Murders, 7/25/69-8/15/69
Section III: Manson Captured, 8/16-12/1/69

My Review:
I give this book a 3 out of 5. 

Ed Sanders researched a lot before writing this book, which is a very informative look into the lives of the members of the Manson Family. The author stated at one point that within a couple months of researching and interviewing people, he had over 10,000 pages of data. 

The author also pulled in information about other (Satanist) cults that crossed paths with Manson during this time period. You can definitely tell when the book was written, as the author uses a lot of era-specific slang. (I even had to look some of the terminology up to ensure I was understanding what he was saying!) The main thing that I didn't like was some of his phraseology. Throughout the book, he used phrases like this: "Sue met a human named Al Sund in San Francisco. Al and another human, Clint Talioferro...". If I'm remembering correctly, he used this phrase mostly referring to males. 

Another thing that truly bothered me about the writing, was that it seemed to be poorly edited. There were a lot of sentence fragments, repeated phrases, and even what appeared to be errors throughout the text. It was written probably how Mr. Sanders talked. 

This gets three stars because of the reasons above. It was very informative and gave me some more details on the Manson family that I did not know. 

You can purchase The Family through Amazon in hard copy format. 

Have you read The Family? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment