Friday, July 19, 2013

Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman

Add to Goodreads
Title: Girlchild
Author: Tupelo Hassman
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Length: 275 pages
Published: 2012
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Brief Synopsis: Rory Hendrix is the third generation of feebleminded women in the Hendrix family. This tells her story: from how the Calle works, the awful things that have happened to her that her mother hoped to prevent, and the awful things that happened to her mother and grandmother. The most she can hope for is to get out of the Calle and not get pregnant at 15 like her mother and grandmother before her.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

I saw a review of Girlchild on a book review blog that I read regularly. And just from the description they gave, I knew I had to pick this book up to read immediately despite my long list of books to read and review. And, boy, I'm glad I did. 

Parts of this book made me cry and yet other parts made me laugh. For a first novel, this is an incredibly well-written story. I've found in the past that many first novels suffer from poor editing or have continuity issues. Girlchild is not one of them. The chapters are short, ranging from a paragraph to four pages long, allowing you to easily put the book down if you need to. Let me in on a little secret, you won't WANT to put the book down. Except at certain points to grab a tissue.

The book does deal with some very adult topics; as Rory Dawn is a victim of abuse, physical and sexual. However, the author does a good job keeping the abuse in the perspective of a child and does not go into details about what is occurring. In fact in a few of the chapters where Rory talks about it, the text is mostly blacked out because it's too frightening for Rory to even put in print. 


The author really did an amazing job telling Rory's story. Her writing style was definitely one I enjoyed and I truly hope to read more from Ms. Hassman in the future!

You can purchase Girlchild through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read Girlchild? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment