Friday, January 17, 2014

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Add to Goodreads
Title: The Eye of the World
Author: Robert Jordan
Series: Wheel of Time (Book #1)
Genre: Epic Fantasy
Length: 810 pages
Published: 1990
Publisher: Tor Books
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

The first time I read this book I was in high school. I heard about it from the one girl in the world that I hated above all others - and who incidentally hated me as well. For no reason that either of us can discern, either, by the way. She was reading it. And she told me all about it during English class one day. I gained not only a best friend (to this day!) that day but also a favorite fantasy series. 

In spite of coming into the book knowing everything that happens during it as well as most of the things that come after, I still found my heart racing as the group runs from one danger and into another. I still find myself saddened by something Rand witnesses towards the end of the novel. I have read this book at least a dozen times, and it still excites me. 

Rand al'Thor, Matrim Cauthon, and Perrin Aybara are just three youths in a small village that does not even know it is part of a Queen's realm. Not only does a gleeman come to their village for the Bel Tine festival, but two strangers as well: one a high-born lady and the other a dangerous warrior. To make events even stranger, all three youths have seen a man in black on a black horse watching them. That man strikes dread into their hearts. 

After a horrible attack on the village on Winternight, as well as at Rand's farm, the three youths end up leaving with the high born lady (who they learn is an Aes Sedai) and her Warder with the gleeman, and the innkeeper's daughter.

After that, it's a roller coaster of danger as they flee the Trollocs and Halfmen in an attempt to make it to Tar Valon - the seat of Aes Sedai power. The Dark One wants one of those three boys, or perhaps all of them, and it is a race to get to Tar Valon before the Dark One takes them all. 

An exciting first novel in an excellent epic fantasy series. Enough questions are answered and most of the plot is wrapped up at the end, but you are left wondering about enough that you want to keep reading. Next in the series is The Great Hunt.

You can purchase The Eye of the World through Amazon in hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read The Eye of the World? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment