Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Add to Goodreads
Title: The Hobbit
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 304 pages
Published: 1982
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) The Enchanting Prelude To The Lord Of The Rings.

Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit who wanted to be left alone in quiet comfort. But the wizard Gandalf came along with a band of homeless dwarves. Soon Bilbo was drawn into their quest, facing evil orcs, savage wolves, giant spiders, and worse unknown dangers. Finally, it was Bilbo - alone and unaided - who had to confront the great dragon Smaug, the terror of an entire countryside...

This stirring adventure fantasy begins the tale of the hobbits that was continued by J.R.R. Tolkien in his bestselling epic The Lord of the Rings.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

I re-read this because I read Sean Astin's memoir There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale and naturally it got my desire to re-read one of my favorite books pumping. I have loved The Hobbit since I first read it when I was 12 (or maybe I was 10? I don't remember for sure, but I've read and re-read this and the Lord of the Rings trilogy over and over again).

It seriously took me a day to read it. I have long loved the adventures Bilbo goes through and even though I've read it at least a dozen times, I still read every single word. I can not wait until my son is a little older that I can start reading him a chapter every night before bed. 

Any fantasy lover will love The Hobbit. While Tolkien can be hit or miss with a lot of people because of how descriptive and prose-y his books can be, The Hobbit is geared more toward a younger audience, as he told this story to his children. I've had people tell me in the past that they could read The Hobbit but not LOTR, because of the difference in writing. Kids as young as 10 would love to read this on their own and kids even younger would probably love to have their mom or dad read it to them or attempt to read it with help. 

You can purchase The Hobbit through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read The Hobbit? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment