Thursday, May 2, 2013

Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski

Add to Goodreads

Title: Only Revolutions
Author: Mark Z. Danielewski
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Length: 360 pages
Published: 2007
Publisher: Pantheon
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) They were with us before Romeo & Juliet. And long after too. Because they're forever around. Or so both claim, caroling gleefully "always sixteen." Sam and Hailey, powered by an ever-rotating fleet of cars, from Model T to Lincoln Continental, career from the Civil War to the Cold War, barreling down through the Appalachians, up the Mississippi River, across the Badlands, finally cutting a nation in half as they try to outrace History itself. By turns beguiling and gripping, finally world-wrecking, Only Revolutions is unlike anything ever published before, a remarkable feat of heart and intellect, moving us with the journey of two kids, perpetually of summer, perpetually sixteen, who give up everything except each other.

My Review:
I give this book a 3 out of 5. 

I loved Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, so I knew I had to give this one a try. I started the book knowing that it would be in an odd format (something I really loved about House of Leaves was the formatting) and that it would take a bit to get used to. I neither loved nor hated this book. In truth, Only Revolutions is a novel length epic poem. Hailey and Sam are the two main characters and the book is written from each of their perspectives. 

The book jacket informs you to read the book starting with Hailey and flipping it over every 8 pages to read Sam's point of view. There's a lot of repetition by doing these revolutions, as you just read what happened from Hailey's point of view and then you are reading the same event from Sam's. While this made the book fun and interesting, it did get a little annoying.

It was really hard to get into the writing style. Misspelled words, random plant or animal names, etc, made it a little confusing until I got a little farther in and got used to the flow of things. The Misspelled words were on purpose, of course, since this was written as stream of consciousness. 


As I said before, I neither loved nor hated the book. If you want something quite a bit different from the normal novel, definitely check it out. 

You can purchase Only Revolutions through Amazon in hard copy format. 

Have you read Only Revolutions? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment