Saturday, May 25, 2013

Neglected but Undefeated: The Life of a Boy Who Never Knew a Mother's Love by Jonathan Anthony Burkett

Add to Goodreads
Title: Neglected but Undefeated: The Life of a Boy Who Never Knew a Mother's Love
Author: Jonathan Anthony Burkett
Genre: Non-Fiction, Memoir, Biography
Length: 294 pages
Published: 2013
Publisher: Jonathan Anthony Burkett Publications
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) This book is surprising, dramatic, unbelievable, heartbreaking expressions said and done. One young man going through trials and tribulations, feeling unloved, unwanted, never needed, and unexpected, from a lady that he had finally understood was his true mother. The one he was told loved him the most in the world no matter what she does and says to him. Growing up and feeling like there was and cannot be any future and purpose for him because he felt and was being told that he could die and day to come. For reasons of that he couldn't control his feelings and seizures that were occurring because of the hatred he felt towards him from the one that loved him the most in this world.

My Review:
I give this book a 4 out of 5. 

I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. 

This is a heartbreaking but very uplifting memoir. As a mother, I could never imagine looking at my son and hating him, much less harming him. The fact that Jonathan was able to eventually rise above his mother's abuse and work on making himself better makes this one of the most uplifting memoirs I've read. 

The beginning seemed choppy to me and at first I didn't think I cared for the author's writing style, but as he continued to tell his story, the writing seemed to grow with him. He started with a very "in-your-face" first chapter, before delving into how he came to be in that situation. Every time he wrote about the abuse he suffered at the hands of his mother, I felt my heart break for him. 

He overcame so many challenges in his youth that I truly hope Mr. Burkett will go on to do great things. 

You can purchase Neglected but Undefeated: The Life of a Boy Who Never Knew a Mother's Love through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read Neglected but Undefeated: The Life of a Boy Who Never Knew a Mother's Love? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment