Thursday, April 11, 2013

The City of Devi by Manil Suri

Add to Goodreads

Title: The City of Devi
Author: Manil Suri
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Length: 382 pages
Published: February 4th, 2013
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Brief Synopsis: Mumbai is under threat of nuclear attack. Gangs of Hindus and Muslims roam the street attacking anyone of the other religion. Sarita begins a journey to find her husband who packed up and left home. A mysterious Muslim named Jaz joins Sarita in her quest. His motives are not exactly pure. Eventually they end up drawn to where it is said the goddess Devi Ma has appeared. 

My Review:
I give this book a 4 out of 5. 

I received an Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) of this novel through a Goodreads giveaway. 

While the world is at war and nuclear destruction is pending, all Sarita can think of is finding her husband who mysteriously packed up and left home. She's randomly encountered by Jaz, or so she believes. 



I found that reading from both Sarita's and Jaz's point of views gave the story a nice change of pace. Understanding both Sarita and Jaz as well as their love for Karun was a necessary part of the story. At times the story seemed a little disjointed but eventually that feeling would disappear and everything would come together in a way that makes sense. I was definitely shocked by the way the story ended, but I believe it was definitely the best way to end the novel.

You can purchase The City of Devi through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read The City of Devi? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

Update made on 4/12/13 to correct formatting.


I selected this post to be featured on my blog’s page at Book Review Blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment