Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Driving Miss Daisy by Alfred Uhry

Add to Goodreads
Title: Driving Miss Daisy
Author: Alfred Uhry
Genre: Drama, Play
Length: 60 pages
Published: 1987
Publisher: Theatre Communications Group
Brief Synopsis: This play is set in 1948 in the Deep South. An older Jewish woman can no longer drive, and her son hires an unemployed, thoughtful black man as her chauffeur. The play covers the roughly 25 years they spent together.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5.

I found this to be a very delightful play. Miss Daisy is the typical older woman who refuses to admit that she can no longer drive. Her son hires Hoke as a chauffeur for his mother. It takes seven days, but Miss Daisy finally relents to letting Hoke drive her around. The play encompasses 25 years of Miss Daisy's life, and shows how much she ends up relying on Hoke as well as how much she truly ended up caring for him. At one point, later on in life, she even says "You're my best friend" to Hoke. I've never seen the film version and definitely intend to now. 

You can purchase Driving Miss Daisy through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read Driving Miss Daisy? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment