Friday, May 30, 2014

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

Add to Goodreads
Title: A Memory of Light 
Author: Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
Series: Wheel of Time (Book #14)
Genre: Epic Fantasy
Length: 909 pages
Published: 2013
Publisher: Tor Books
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.

When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. With The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind. 

Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.
What was, what will be, and what is,
may yet fall under the Shadow.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.


My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

I have been reading the Wheel of Time since I was in high school. I think this is one of the reasons why it took me so long to get around to reading the final book. I knew I was going to cry at the end when it was over. I knew I was going to feel like there was a hole left. I know this is a series that I will re-read in its entirety again someday. I grew up reading it, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. 

And I really did cry at the end, and in a couple of other spots throughout. This book was an emotional roller-coaster. It is literally one 900 page battle. The Last Battle is here, and the armies of the world are uniting to defeat the waves of Shadowspawn which are coming to destroy them. All of the chapters are short except one: the one where Rand finally steps in to battle with the Dark One. That chapter is nearly 200 pages long and it shows every important character as they struggle throughout the battle. I won't lie: people die. And not just nameless soldiers. I won't name names because I don't want to spoil anything. Just prepare yourself. It's not even obvious as to who dies. 

Probably the only negative thing about this book is that some characters are mentioned briefly during the fight but never mentioned again so you don't know if they survived or not. The Wheel of Time wiki goes under the assumption that unless it's specifically stated that someone has died, they managed to survive the Last Battle. 

The final volume of this series is one edge of your seat battle. I could not stop reading and hated putting it down for even a minute. 

You can purchase A Memory of Light through Amazon in hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read A Memory of LightIf so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment