Saturday, December 14, 2013

Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories by Washington Irving

Add to Goodreads
Title: Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories
Author: Washington Irving
Genre: Classic Literature, Short Stories
Length: 256 pages
Published: 1999 (version I read); 1819 (original)
Publisher: Grosset & Dunlap
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) From the "Father of the American Short Story" comes a classic collection of well-loved tales sure to chill the faint of heart and thrill the brave-hearted. Ride with the headless horseman as he makes his rounds through "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," soon to be a major motion picture starring Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci. Find out what happens when a lazy man falls asleep for 20 years and wakes up to a strange new world in "Rip Van Winkle." Dare to experience Gothic horror at its best in "The Spectre Bridegroom." With five gorgeously illustrated plates by Nenad Jakesevic, this celebrated anthology belongs on every family's bookshelf.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

Everyone knows about the legend of Sleepy Hollow, the headless horseman, Ichabod Crane...They've even made a movie based on the legend, and most recently they've created a TV show based off of it. I've always known the loose basics of the tale, but never read the actual story. So I jumped at the chance to grab this off my library's shelves. 

I really enjoyed every story in this collection. Most of them were chilling, and even haunting. I could see myself curled up in front of the fire listening to someone tell these sometimes dark tales and feeling a cold chill go down my spine. 

Another bonus is that it was a super quick read (and thankfully not as dull as many classics can be), so you can easily read it in a day or two and move on to something else.

You can purchase Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories through Amazon in hard copy format. 

Have you read Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment