Thursday, October 3, 2013

Candide by Voltaire

Add to Goodreads
Title: Candide
Author: Voltaire
Genre: Classic Literature, Satire
Length: 122 pages
Published: 1981 (originally 1759)
Publisher: Bantam Books
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) Brought up in the household of a powerful Baron, Candide is an open-minded young man, whose tutor, Pangloss, has instilled in him the belief that 'all is for the best'. But when his love for the Baron's rosy-cheeked daughter is discovered, Candide is cast out to make his own way in the world.

And so he and his various companions begin a breathless tour of Europe, South America and Asia, as an outrageous series of disasters befall them - earthquakes, syphilis, a brush with the Inquisition, murder - sorely testing the young hero's optimism.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

I've always found that older classic novels are harder to read - mostly because of the vernacular used, the way language/slang/etc have changed in the last couple hundred years, etc.; so I wasn't really sure what to expect when I picked up Candide. When I saw the length, I was like, OK this has promise to be a very easy, quick read. And it was. I literally read it in a couple hours. 

I've always heard people mention Voltaire and thought that his writing would be dull. But that was not the case! This book was witty, humorous, philosophical, and definitely not the dry literature I thought it would be. Definitely pick this up if you want a quick, witty read!

You can purchase Candide through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read Candide? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment