Friday, September 27, 2013

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

Add to Goodreads
Title: The Return of the King
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 512 pages
Published: 1986
Publisher: Ballantine
Brief Synopsis: The final book in the epic Lord of the Rings trilogy, which follows the scattered members of the Fellowship through the dark days of the final battles with Mordor. 

Through grief, sorrow and darkness, the West strives to strike down the evil in the East while Frodo and Sam struggle on their way to Mount Doom to dispose of the One Ring once and for all.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

In The Two Towers, we watched as Pippin left Merry behind with the Riders of Rohan as Gandalf took him far from the palantir to Minas Tirith. The Return of the King picks up where it left off with Pippin and Gandalf riding as fast as Shadowfax could take them to Gondor. And the action never stops throughout this first half of the book. War comes to Gondor in several different forms. I won't elaborate too much on the off chance you have neither read the book nor seen the movie. 

The final half of this last book in the epic trilogy picks up with Sam seeking to find a way to rescue Frodo from the clutches of the orcs. The danger is ever present here in Mordor as the pair attempt to make their way to Mount Doom to destroy the One Ring. 

The story portion of this final book is actually not very long: in the version I read it is about 350 pages of the 500+. That's because after the story ends you can find all of the Appendices and Indices that Tolkien put together with more history on the realm of Middle-Earth. For a first read through, definitely read these. As this was probably my fiftieth time reading the trilogy, I opted to skip them at this time. But they do hold a ton of information that you can even refer to when you re-read the series. If you've managed to make it through the first two books in the trilogy, I highly doubt you're going to skip over the conclusion. Trust me when I say you will know sorrow and joy in this riveting tale.

You can purchase The Return of the King through Amazon in either hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read The Return of the King? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment