Saturday, June 8, 2013

Stuart Little by E.B. White

Add to Goodreads
Title: Stuart Little
Author: E.B. White
Genre: Children's Fantasy
Length: 131 pages
Published: 1945
Publisher: Harper Collins
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) This is the first children's book by the distinguished author, E. B. White. Stuart Little, the hero, is a mouse in the family of the Frederick C. Littles and is a pleasantly debonair little character, with a shy, engaging manner and a somewhat philosophical turn of mind. He is a great help around the house, and everybody except Snowbell the cat likes him a great deal. In spite of his small size, Stuart gets around a good bit in the world, riding a Fifth Avenue bus with some aplomb, racing (and winning in) a sailboat in Central Park, teaching school for a day, and so on. His size - just over two inches - does give him some trouble now and then, like the time he was rolled up in the window shade, or when he got dumped in to a garbage scow. But on the whole his life is a happy one. His great adventure comes when, at the age of seven, he sets out in the world to seek his dearest friends, Margalo, a beautiful little bird fern. It is on this search, after several amusing experiences, that we leave Stuart, going North in his little car, sure he is heading in the right direction.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

There are a ton of classic children's books which I am now realizing (at age 30!) that I have never read. Stuart Little is one of them. I've seen the movies, but never actually read the book. Considering how much I read as a child, I'm really surprised that this one never made it onto my list of books to read.

It was amusing to read about Stuart's adventures. I highly recommend it for the child in your life.

You can purchase Stuart Little through Amazon in hard copy format. 

Have you read Stuart Little? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment