Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Add to Goodreads
Title: Les Misérables
Author: Victor Hugo
Genre: Classic Literature
Length: 959 pages
Published: Original: 1862; Version I read: 2010
Publisher: Public Domain Books
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) Introducing one of the most famous characters in literature, Jean Valjean - the noble peasant imprisoned for stealing a loaf of bread - Les Misérables (1862) ranks among the greatest novels of all time. In it Victor Hugo takes readers deep into the Parisian underworld, immerses them in a battle between good and evil, and carries them onto the barricades during the uprising of 1832 with a breathtaking realism that is unsurpassed in modern prose. 

Within his dramatic story are themes that capture the intellect and the emotions: crime and punishment, the relentless persecution of Valjean by Inspector Javert, the desperation of the prostitute Fantine, the amorality of the rogue Thénardier and the universal desire to escape the prisons of our own minds. Les Misérables gave Victor Hugo a canvas upon which he portrayed his criticism of the French political and judicial systems, but the portrait which resulted is larger than life, epic in scope - an extravagant spectacle that dazzles the senses even as it touches the heart.

My Review:
I give this book a 4 out of 5. 

My favorite character in this 900+ page epic was Javert. He was definitely the most fascinating character and he underwent a huge change by the end of the book. Jean ValJean also underwent a huge change in his character throughout the book. He comes in close second to Javert as my favorite. 

The overall story was great. What starts as a simple tale about an old bishop turns into an epic tale of love, crime, punishment, forgiveness, and hatred - all during the French Revolution. I fully admit I skimmed some parts of this book because I couldn't handle some of the long-winded prose which I felt took away from the core story - but I see now why it was included. There's a lot of good history added to the story in those parts I skimmed, I just wasn't interested in it. 

You can purchase Les Misérables through Amazon in hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read Les Misérables? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment