Thursday, June 12, 2014

Artful by Peter David

Add to Goodreads
Title: Artful
Author: Peter David
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 288 pages
Published: July 1st, 2014
Publisher: 47North
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) Oliver Twist is one of the most well-known stories ever told, about a young orphan who has to survive the mean streets of London before ultimately being rescued by a kindly benefactor.

But it is his friend, the Artful Dodger, who has the far more intriguing tale, filled with more adventure and excitement than anything boring Oliver could possibly get up to. Throw in some vampires and a plot to overthrow the British monarchy, and what you have is the thrilling account that Charles Dickens was too scared to share with the world.

From the brilliant mind of novelist and comic book veteran Peter David, Artful is the dark, funny, and action-packed story of one of the most fascinating characters in literary history. 


With vampires.

My Review:
I give this book a 4 out of 5. 

Let me preface this by stating that I have never read Oliver Twist, so I know little of the original story. I saw this book on the Kindle First page, and the premise intrigued me. The author gives a brief rundown of the events of Oliver Twist, allowing those that have not read it to understand some of the characters that are introduced - most especially the Artful Dodger, our title character. 

Even though I enjoyed Artful immensely, I am only giving it four stars, as I had a hard time getting into the book. I think it was mostly my lack of knowledge of Oliver Twist that made it hard to really get past the first few chapters. I was having a hard time keeping straight the events and getting used to the author's writing style for this book. Once the action truly started, I enjoyed it much more. 

I loved how the author brought in Abraham Van Helsing, the vampyre hunter who hunted Dracula, and showed him as a youth and gave some history on how he became to be a vampyre hunter. This was an excellent story, and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Oliver Twist, or vampyres. 

You can purchase Artful through Amazon in hard copy or Kindle format. Artful will be released on July 1st, 2014.

Have you read Artful? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Artful as well, and posted a review on Amazon.How could I get my own story reviewed on your site?

    ReplyDelete