Thursday, February 20, 2014

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Add to Goodreads
Title: Flowers in the Attic
Author: V.C. Andrews
Series: Dollanganger (Book #1)
Genre: Suspense Thriller
Length: 411 pages
Published: 1979 (original) 1990 (version I read)
Publisher: Pocket (version I read)
Brief Synopsis: (Taken from Goodreads) The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before.

Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them.

She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days....

Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.

My Review:
I give this book a 5 out of 5. 

Words can not describe how much I loved this book. A very good friend of mine has been telling me for a very, very long time to read this series. I've been putting it off. I finally got around to it (mostly because of the Lifetime version of the movie which just came out last month). I COULD NOT PUT THIS DOWN.

I spent the entire book rooting for these poor children who are locked away in an attic. I spent the entire book hating their mother for doing this to them in the first place and hating her even worse at the end. I was not expecting the twists at the end. I almost threw the book, but then I realized that I wanted to find out what happened even more. (I won't say more because I don't want to spoil things for anyone!)

I can not wait to start in on the second book in the series, Petals on the Wind. I have high hopes it will be just as thrilling as this one. 

You can purchase Flowers in the Attic through Amazon in hard copy or Kindle format. 

Have you read Flowers in the Attic? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts! 

Please note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. It is strictly my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment